NOW PLAYING!

Now Playing:MZ20: Don!

Get previous episodes of Masala Zindabad!

SUBSCRIBE OR GET INDIVIDUAL EPISODES THROUGH iTunes.

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Forgotten: Character Actors in Hindi Cinema Part 2

In Part 2 of our conversation with Greta from Memsaab Story, we talk about her favorite finds and the man for whom she is searching desperately - The International Sombrero Man of Mystery. Please help if you can.

Listen to the tale of her dinner date with Boman Irani (strictly platonic and very cerebral, thank you very much!) and how Aamir Khan did her a great favor even though Dara Singh is her idea of a pin-up.

Below are a few more people discussed in this episode:

Edwina (in the gold dress) in Arzoo (1963)


Ted in Janwar (1965):


and in "Jaan Pehchaan Ho" from Gumnaam (1966) He is in the middle and the guy on the far left - on Ted's right - is Helen's brother Roger


Herman and Edwina in Anari (1959):


Herman Benjamin (dancer turned choreographer, sadly died young in 1969), also in "Jaan Pehchaan Ho"






To wrap things up, here is someone who sadly got edited out of the final show but deserves to be mentioned all the same: Jagdish Raj, father of Anita, who played a police officer in 144 films. And that's in addition to all the films he made where he didn't don an uniform.

You can listen to Masala Zindabad - The Forgotten Part 2 by clicking the player above, subscribing to our feed, or downloading here. Thank you for listening.

5 comments:

  1. This is just so much fun!
    You guys have a wonderful way of keeping your listeners glued to your podcast - the 22-odd minutes go by before you can say "Nazir Kashmiri". :-)
    Lovely flow too to the whole thing - I like the way you go from subject to subject, from discussing how character actors get their roles to Greta's experiences with family members of artistes to the sad state of preservation of old Hindi movies. There seems to be a seamless movement from one to the other. I guess the credit for this should go to you, Amrita, for editing this and putting it all together.

    I love the enthusiasm and positive vibes too - the camaraderie and love for Hindi movies comes out very strongly, as also the totally funky way in which all of you just say whatever you feel like. Like Greta saying "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you" about the DVD industry. :-)

    Keep going, guys - as you can see, I'm a regular here now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do HATE those people. I don't hate many things, but Indian dvd companies are near the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raja - Thank you! We're kinda finding our way around so it's great to hear comments like yours :) As long as none of us gets sued, we should be ok, lol.

    Memsaab - I'm so glad I don't have to depend on subtitles! The visuals alone are enough to drive me wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about the state of the old films. I wish a company would step up and restore them. I remember when they colorized Mughal-E-Azam, they showed how first they had to clean the print, and I thought, why, oh, why didn't they just stop there? I hate the fake-y colors on the film. It looks like someone took neon highlighters to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. myrna-nora - I've never seen an un-colorized Mughal-e-Azam and really need to. I thought it looked flat and cheap, which I cannot imagine is either accurate or even true to the spirit of the original sets, costumes, etc! Totally agree about the highlighting. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete