NOW PLAYING!

Now Playing:MZ20: Don!

Get previous episodes of Masala Zindabad!

SUBSCRIBE OR GET INDIVIDUAL EPISODES THROUGH iTunes.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Going to the Movies: Raja

This week, blogger and listener Raja of InsideOut shares his movie-going history.

Raised on once-a-week screenings at the officers' club at the local factory in his little hometown, he tells us about watching Mera Naam Joker in the cinema, seeing Sharmeelee while on holiday to Bombay in 1972, and the less-than-perfect conditions for Teesri Manzil. And some thoughts on going to English movies in India too! The coziness of his childhood movie-watching is going to make you jealous, I promise.

And how is this for wise parting words: "I think the most important thing for me is if I have company, if I have fun.... The movie itself doesn't matter very much."

Available on iTunes, through subscription to our feed, or download here.


This story and all others will be collected at the series page, which is also linked on the left of the main site. We'd love to hear yours and hope to add a new each week, so send yours in! Submission requirements and instructions, as well as an overview of the project, are on the series page.

2 comments:

  1. And we're off to a great start, I think! Lol @ shareef bachcha Raja getting shocked at the uncouth reaction of the whistle-happy public. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of an open air screening - I mean, the Indian films themselves make dancing in the rain look like so much fun - although I can see why the monsoon season might be a problem! Umbrellas blocking the view - that's so funny, Raja.

    You mentioned that song from Laila Majnu, 'Koi Pathar Se Na Maray Mere Deewanay Ko', which I haven't heard for years now. Beautiful song and in my humble opinion, the best part of the entire film. Will have to dig it out right now and give it a listen. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete