NOW PLAYING!

Now Playing:MZ20: Don!

Get previous episodes of Masala Zindabad!

SUBSCRIBE OR GET INDIVIDUAL EPISODES THROUGH iTunes.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Iconic Female Characters in Hindi Cinema Part 2: Fearless Nadia, Chhoti Bahu, Sujata

In the second episode of Iconic Female Characters with Ira of Old is Gold, our discussion moves from Fearless Nadia to Chhoti Bahu to Sujata.

We wonder if race played a role in the evolution of Nadia and her enduring effect on Indian cinema. Also, why does Beth hate the idea of a woman whose life has no value other than to love her husband? It worked so well for Chhoti Bahu!

What? Oh.

Plus, Amrita remembers her mother's favorite movie all wrong and Ira muses on the trend in Indian cinema where siblings pass around their exes. Spoilers abound but sixty to seventy years after the date of release, you ought to expect it.

You can listen to Masala Zindabad: Female Icons 2 by clicking the player above, subscribing to our feed, on iTunes or downloading here.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I hope someone who really loves Sahib Biwi aur Ghulam sends in some kind of impassioned defense as a GttM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amrita, SBAG is one of my favourite movies and I completely agree with what you said. What I love about Chhoti Bahu is how I do not wish that kind of life for anybody, since Meena showed me so well how miserable it can be. I think it was important to show that kind of character because there are girls being raised to be like her. For me, she's like a big warning of what I should not do with my daughter when (or if) a have one.

    But Sujata...oh, I love her so much. Nutan do this magic thing of making me love her work even when the characters are just detestable (I'm not talking about Sujata, I'm totally not!!!)...

    ReplyDelete