In the third episode of our series on iconic female characters with Ira of Old is Gold, our discussion moves from Mother India to Seeta aur Geeta to Bobby.
- Beth wonders why the general term "Mother India" seems to connote something so much meeker and lamer than Nargis's character really is.
- Ira proposes that even Geeta is not quite as independent as we'd like.
- Amrita gets all kinds of grossed out thinking about Raj Kapoor's use of actual teenage actors to tell the more uncomfortable arcs of Bobby's story.
In case you missed them, here are parts 1 and 2 of this series. You can listen to Masala Zindabad: Iconic Female Characers by clicking the player above, subscribing to our feed, on iTunes, or downloading here.
The other parts of this series are here:
• 1: the Bharatiya Nari
• 2: Fearless Nadia, Chhoti Bahu, Sujata
• 4: Chandni, Simran, Geet – and Sid wakes up